|Client||Infrastructure OntarioToronto 2015: City of Toronto, University of Toronto|
|Size||350,000 SF (32.533 SM)|
|Location||Toronto, ON, Canada|
Download Project Overview
The largest new competition venue for the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games, this world class facility was also designed to be a legacy athletic center for the University of Toronto’s Scarborough Campus, a local community center and a high-performance training center for elite athletes. NORR designed the aquatics center to feature two internationally sanctioned 10-lane, 50-meter fast pools.
These pools have moveable bulkheads and floor platforms that enable the pools to be subdivided and their depths adjusted for various community uses, including universal access. The five-meter deep diving tank has diving platforms up to 10 meters high along with an adjacent dry-land diver training facility. NORR’s design for the field house provides flexible gymnasium space for training and competition, an indoor recreational track and fitness area, and cardio and weightlifting facilities. It also houses the Canadian Sport Institute of Ontario which offers world-class sport science and high-performance training services. The LEED Gold complex also features 100 geothermal wells, 2.2 acres of solar panels and 1.3 acres of green roof.
- 2017 Graphis Magazine – Design Annual
- 2016 Engineering News-Record (ENR), Sports & Entertainment; Award of Merit-Global Best Project Award
- 2016 Parks and Recreation Ontario Awards Program; PRO Awards – Excellence in Design Award
- 2016 Communications Arts Magazine – Design, Environmental, Sports
- 2015 Ontario Concrete Industry Ontario Concrete Award, Institutional Building
- 2015 Athletic Business Facility of Merit – Athletic Business Conference & Expo
- 2015 Precast / Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) Design Awards, Best Stadium and Arena
- 2015 Ontario General Contractors Association (OGCA) ‘Best of the Best’ projects built in Ontario Award
- 2015 Architectural Showcase, Toronto Pan Am Sport Centre, A legacy of the Pan and Parapan American Games
- 2014 Toronto Construction Association (TCA), “Best of the Best” Large Project Achievement Award
Get In Touch
Other Projects in this Portfolio
University of Newcastle Stephenson Building
A new world-leading home for engineering at Newcastle University
Merkinch Primary School and Family Centre
The largest Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT) school in Scotland.